Bachelor of Primary Education VIT Registered
Certificate in CAI (Canine Assisted Interventions) and AAI (Animal Assisted Interventions).
Keryn has a background as a Primary School Educator with 21 years experience in the field both in Melbourne and Overseas in London. As an experienced Educator, Keryn’s focus has been on building relationships with children, parents, teachers, and support staff. She believes in creating a positive environment, where all children are equally valued and respected. Keryn is passionate about supporting children’s health through the unique healing powers of animals and has completed training in Animal Assisted Therapy through Lead the way. Keryn assisted by her dog, Poppy believes that the human-animal bond that occurs between an individual and a therapy dog can illicit many positive outcomes. Through using animal interventions they can help children to learn skills that result in better connection and relationships, skills that can assist with self regulation and self control. Children bond quickly and closely with animals and tend to confide in them and they have a positive impacts on overall wellbeing and operate as psychological assets.
- Animal-assisted therapy can:
- teach empathy and appropriate interpersonal skills
- help individuals develop social skills
- quickly build rapport between professionals and clients
- improve individual’s skills to pick up social cues imperative to human relationships.
- Support therapeutic goals around self care and independence through modelling